Eden, in his 1797 survey of the poor in England, reported that: Nottingham contains three parishes. The following March, a new Board of Guardians with an anti-Poor Law majority tried to delay completion of the workhouse but were eventually forced to go ahead with it.
Initially, a larger site on Dog Kennel Hill was considered, but eventually the replacement was built on the old site at a cost of more than £5,000. However, when the fund ran out, the Poor Law Commissioners finally gave way and allowed, temporarily at least, out-relief for the able-bodied in return for manual labour such as stone-breaking.
Also in 1723, St Nicholas' parish erected a workhouse on Gillyflower Hill. Economic conditions improved in 1838, leading to a fall in numbers in the workhouse, and the re-imposition of the prohibition on out-relief to the able-bodied.
Consequently, the College traditionally placed a considerable emphasis on theological teaching, although this is less the case now.
In the period after the second World War the trends were towards scientific courses (the major area devoted to science east of the University Museum influenced this) and eventually co-education for men and women from 1979 onwards.
[Up to 1834] [After 1834] [Staff] [Inmates] [Records] [Bibliography] [Links] The first Nottingham workhouse was set up by St Mary's parish in 1723 on land between York Street and Mansfield Road. The Poor Law Commissioners reluctantly decided to suspend the rules forbidding the giving of out relief to the able-bodied.